By Sheila Fauman, Clinical Counsellor
It is supposed to be a wonderful time of year, but you might be feeling stressed or maybe a little down. Know that you are not alone. Many people struggle over the holidays, and there’s good reason for it. Nevermind the rainy, dark days, how about money stress, trying to manage family dynamics, and did you check your list twice? You feel like you have too many social engagements…or maybe you feel like you’re the only one not invited to the party? Amongst all of its good cheer, the holiday season can often be a hard time of year for many of us. So, here are a few things you can do to help you through the holidays and optimize your mental health.
- Make sleep a priority.
- Schedule time for you – read a book, watch tv, sleep in, go for a massage.
- Focus on the big picture…do not sweat the small stuff.
- Make a budget… stick to it.
- Put it in your schedule.
- Eat well when you can. Give yourself permission to enjoy the goodies.
- Reach out to a friend – nobody is as busy as
- you think they are.
Wishing you all the best and good mental health for the holiday season!